Bali Sunrise Art Retreat
” Explore your magical Creative Potential”
September Friday 18th – Friday 25th 2015
Have you ever wanted to explore your true Artistic Creative Potential while in an Island Paradise?
Hello there and welcome to Bali Sunrise Art Retreat! I am so glad that you have found this page!
My name is Wanda and I would love you to join us on our very first Art Retreat in Bali!
Anise Art Consultancy and Art Studio @ Kiama is providing you with the opportunity to explore your Creative Potential when you join us for one beautiful, spiritual and relaxing artistic week long adventure in one of the world’s most gorgeous places- Bali!
We have an exceptional array of internationally acclaimed guest artists who will be teaching you specific painting and drawing skills using various media, and, sculpting and carving techniques. You will even get the chance to explore the local culinary arts! Be moved when learning how to integrate artistic technique with your own spiritual expression.
There is a maximum of 15 participants in each retreat so register your participation early to avoid disappointment. The retreat is strictly limited to this number.
The venue resort where the retreat will be held in Sanur, an older part of Bali Some of the locals and ex pats call it ‘Snore’, but by no means is it sleepy! . Not too busy, and not too quiet! Much quieter than Legian and Kuta. The resort is positioned along the beautiful Sindhu beach of Sanur which stretches for about 5 kilometres or more along an east-facing coastline, with the lush and green landscaped grounds of resorts fronting right onto the sandy beach. Along this beach front are many tourist shops, restaurants and cafes. You will have no trouble finding somewhere to eat, drink, or have a massage, or even strike up a conversation with some of the local Balinese people. We will be visiting UBUD twice during the retreat as Ubud is known as Bali’s ‘Artistic Haven’. You will definitely have the opportunity to experience the culture of Bali while being able to respond artistically to its beauty and character in the chosen venues and art class experiences. It will be a little piece of heaven, and you will get to share this with like-minded souls!
This international art retreat is suitable for beginners and advanced painters. Your selected tutors have the experience, knowledge and creative aptitude to assist you to discover and further your own creative potential. They will stimulate you to find new ways to approach your art work while introducing you to colour theory, left brain thinking and doing and, capturing movement with colour and line! You will have so much fun working in the unique and different art studio environments.
The ‘Bali Sunrise Art Retreat’ was design by artist and teacher Wanda Grein, as a promise to her art students to’ get out of the studio’ and participate in an art class just like the ‘plein air’ artists did in France during the Impressionist era. She wanted her students to enjoy painting ‘in the moment’ capturing the light and colours of an exquisite Bali sunrise or sunset. And, with her love of the Bali culture and its natural beauty was the perfect place to have a seaside art retreat. Creativity is so abundant in Bali, it pulses and muses from everywhere.
While Wanda will be conducting some of the Artistic activities, she has painstakingly selected an beautiful spicy mix of professional and accomplished artists from various schools of thought and styles to compliment the whole retreat. Wanda is also one of the tutors for the art Retreat. She had been teaching the Arts for 35 years and is a Mosaic artist and specialises in Buddhist Art. Her passion for art has inspired her to provide for her adult art students an opportunity to experience art styles and techniques outside her own studio environment. She wanted her students to experience what it would be like to paint a scene or image ‘in the moment, at that moment’ on location! From that thought alone, came into being the Bali Sunrise Art Retreat. There will be two workshops Wanda will provide that will entail painting on the beach, at the crack of dawn, waiting for Sunrise, and start to paint that scene just like the ‘plein-air’ artists did of the impressionist era. How exciting is that?
Wanda’s husband Geoff Colin Thome, is a highly skilled photographer and he will be providing mini photographic workshops for the participants on how to get the best out of your camera, and what makes a good photo. Geoff will be on hand to assist each participant where the need arises, so that you benefit from getting to know your camera so much better! You want those photo memories to be awesome! For further information on Geoff’s photos, please go to email@example.com.
The Tutors for the Retreat are as follows:
Bruce was originally from the UK and is the Founding Director of the BCAC (Bali Centre for Artistic Creativity) in UBUD. It is an art gallery and centre for studying visual arts. The centre specialises in promoting imagination, creativity, fantasy, spontaneity, improvisation and originality. Bruce is from the UK and has 50 years’ experience as Arts educator based on Steiner principles, and has taught extensively on five different continents. He is a talented prolific Surrealist artist in his own right. Bruce will start the workshop by introducing us to Steiner Colour theory exploring using various painting mediums so that a unified and harmonious understanding of colour is achieved. The second half of the day will involve an experiential collaborative painting workshop ‘Island of the Gods’ again with various painting mediums, and loads of input from Bruce and his creative team. We will be lunching at Warung Mina! After the worshop Katut will take us to the Ubud Centre for shopping, eating and dancing!
For further information check our Bruce’s website: www.brucesherrattpaintings.weebly.com
Kikuo Mori is a Japanese artist, and has lived in Bali for many years. He is owner of Mori Art Studios in UBUD. He came to Bali from Japan in 2001 and has been teaching oil and acrylic paintings, and drawing. In Mori’s early years his paintings were influenced by his fascination with the 1960s American Pop and Op Art scenes. During his time in Los Angeles he explored Modern and Post Modern American Art, Surrealism and Natural Abstract Expressionism focusing on Mexican painter Diego Rivera and French painter Paul Gauguin. Now he expresses his imagination through the natural world and spiritual aspects of life. He creates luminous opalescent surfaces of vibrant, sensuous forms and patterns. His latest art pieces reflect spiritual landscapes, flowers, and psychic inner mindscapes. He also paints animistic energies and mysticism, deriving from his California experience and his Japanese Samurai ancestry. Kikuo believes that everyone is creative and that to tap into the creativity is where one is abundantly blessed. He assists students to reach this artistic nirvana through simple techniques which allows the student to let go, and allow the soul self to express from within. Kikuo will be teaching us in the Cintu Villas in Sanur, a workshop I for one certainly do not want to miss!
For more info on Kikuo’s work check out his website: www.moriartstudio.com
Noella is a very well known Dutch artist who now has a beautiful ART studio in Sanur where she teaches Life drawing classes and oil painting. Noella has studied extensively throughout her artistic career, and has had many artistic exhibitions to say the least. She is one vibrant teacher whose enthusiasm for movement and expression is certainly a style which belongs to the old masters like Rembrandt and Michelangelo! She is the master of her technique, and her exotic paintings of dancers and the human figures are stunning. We are so lucky to be able to be in the presence of such a high profile artist, and she takes us through an understanding of arts composition, anatomy, art styles and how to capture a line which gives life to the paper.
For more info on Noella’s impressive history work check out his website: www.noellaroos.com and check what Wikipedia has to say about this inspiring artist.
WILLIAM INGRAM -THREADS of LIFE.
William and his partner Jean Howe are co-founders of Threads of Life, and co-directors of the Bebali Foundation with I Made Maduarta (Pung), the staff ethnobotanist. Threads of Life is about Indonesian textiles and came into being with a realisation of the importance of crafts exchanges between Indonesian communities. It is a fair trade business that uses culture and conservation to alleviate poverty in rural Indonesia. With the proceeds from the Threads of Life gallery, they help weavers to form independent cooperatives and to manage their resources sustainably. We will have the opportunity to find out more about Threads of Life and the Bebali Foundation, and discover Indonesian natural dyes. We will explore the techniques of batik (an Indonesian wax resist process) and Shibori (a Japanese term for several methods of dyeing cloth with a pattern by binding, stitching, folding, twisting, compressing it, or capping). Some of these methods are similar to tie-dyeing. William and the team will discuss the processes along the way and you will have the opportunity to participate in a one-off traditional dying experience, as well as have a guided tour of the dye garden. The class also explores the ritual use of textiles.
For futher investigation check out: www.threadsoflife.com
DEWI KARTIKSARI- Caraway Bali Cooking Class
Dewi is the Director and head chef of ‘Caraway Bali Cooking classes. Caraway Cooking Class is a tribute to her 96 year old Granma (Fatima). Most of the recipes in Dewi’s cooking classes are Fatima’s, but more importantly is the traditional methods and Dewi’s inspirational love for cooking from an early age. Dewi was head chef in one the big resorts when her boss placed her as teacher to the junior chefs. She was very busy for many years teaching her special cooking style to her juniors when she decided to try working her own business. You will have the opportunity to discover the secrets of Indonesian food with Dewi and her team. We start with a visit to the local market where we will buy fresh produce for the cooking class, and investigate some of the medicinal purposes for cooking with Balinese herbs. You will also learn how to master bargaining skills at these markets! In the cooking class we do all the grinding of spices from scratch. You won’t be disappointed. Dewi’s daughter Aubrey works in the local children’s orphanage in Denpasar. On this day after our swim right next to the kitchen, we will donate our towel to the orphanage as are part of our Bali Sunrise Art retreat goodwill. Towels will be purchased at the markets the day before! Dewi’s cooking classes by the way rate very highly on Tripadvisor! Well Done Dewi.
For more information about Dewi’s Culinary delights check out her website. www.carawaycookingclass.com
IBU MAMIK- fun Balinese dance class
Ibu is a Classical Balinese dancer. The locals call her Ibu Mama, and she teaches the young girls the extraordinary intricacies of Balinese dance at the Tandjung Sari Resort Sanur mostly on Sunday afternoons to the delight of the locals and the girl’s families. She has been teaching for many years and for this one off occasion Ibu will share her dance skills with us in a small Balinese dance workshop in Sanur. How lucky are we? For this occasion, don’t forget you Sari!
What’s included in this Art Retreat.
The package includes a number of activities organised to give you a wonderful set of Artistic experiences, and enough time to chill out have time to yourself to explore Sanur yourself.
- The package is in TWO PARTS: Accommodation and ART Workshops.
- The ART WORKSHOPS includes:
- Transfers to and from Denpasar Airport to your hotel in Sanur.
- A welcome drink, free drinking water and a snack upon arrival. If you arrive late at night, you will receive your welcome pack the next day, as I am sure you will want to sleep.
- All art activities with the Guest Artists both in Sanur and Ubud. All painting and drawing tuition- 10 sessions of artistic experience, which amounts to approximately 25 hours of tuition with first class art tutors!
- All transport to and from the venues, and lunches and snacks are included at most of the venues. Any other meals indicated in workshops at selected restaurants allows participants to select meals and therefore at the individual’s cost.
- Beautiful Seaview Dinner at famous Jimbaran Bay. If you don’t eat seafood there is plenty on the menu to choose from. Includes transport from Sanur to Jimbaran Bay and back again to the hotel. You will be required to pay for your own drinks.
- Art Supplies that will be shared. For example, Acrylic paints, brushes, mediums, palettes, canvas boards, pencils. You will receive your own Sunrise Bali art retreat Apron at the first workshop.
- Morning Tea/coffee and snacks are available, but I suggest you get use to bringing your own water for workshops in UBUD, and your own little jaunts in your free time.
- A one night to experience the cultural dance of Kecak at stunning Uluwatu Temple or Tanalot Temples
- Visits to Local Art Galleries in the Sanur area free of charge: Le Mayeur Museum, Gallery at the Griya Sandrian Resort and Spa, Sands Gallery Sindhu Beach, and OMS Gallery in Sanur.
- Half day workshop at Balinese Cooking Class at Caraway Cooking with Dewi: includes transport to Pasar Intaran Markets at Sanur, then transport to Dewi’s Cooking Warung in Sanur.
- A one Photographic workshop with Geoff our tour photographer, on ‘What makes a good Picture’, and how to get the best out of your camera: Geoff will also be available for mini sessions for those who need extra help.
- One early morning Bali Sunrise ‘plein-air’ painting experiences with Wanda at the crack of dawn in the water, on the beach, ready to paint one of the most magical sunrises you have ever seen in your life! Workshop includes use of acrylic paints and mediums, and general painting workshop equipment. * * Canvas boards are part of your pre-purchase package for the tour. Make sure you have two of them.
- We will be donating a towel after Dewi’s cooking class for the children’s orphanage in Denpasar.
- Barbara the Tarot reader will be coming along to the Retreat so you will have a one 20 minute reading with her. You will need to book with her for your reading. Should you want an extra reading it will be at your cost.
- Total cost for Art Workshops, the Cultural Activities and the transport to ALL workshop venues is $1300AU
- If you are not a participating Art Retreat person and you are ONLY participating in some cultural activities please indicate which ones from the list. *** We will get back to you with a price. We can quote you over the phone too which may be better.
- There are many massage spas around the Sanur Beach area. It is highly recommended that you invest in one of these before we leave for UBUD for our Tuesday Workshop with Bruce at the Bali Centre for Artistic Creativity. You can opt for a combo manicure and pedicure package. Costs vary from $8-$25 dollars AU.
- AccommodationThe Diwangkara Resort & Spa Hotel is on Sanur Beach where we will be staying for the duration of the Art Retreat
- Hopefully you can arrive in Bali by the 17th September 2015.
- The Art Retreat starts Friday 18th September and finishes Sunday 25th September 2015.
- The breakdown depends whether you are sharing a room, or single occupancy. Inclusive in this price is the last day late checkout fee
- so that you can stay after 11am which is normal check out time, and stay to about 5pm in the room. After 5pm, full day fees will apply at your cost.
Please read the following carefully:
– 9 nights from single occupancy is $715 includes late checkout fee on last day.
– 9 nights from Twin share is $358pp includes late checkout fee on last day
– 10 nights from Single occupancy is $790 includes late checkout fee on last day
– 10 nights from Twin share is $395 includes late checkout fee on last day
– 11 nights from September Single occupancy is $865 includes late checkout fee on last day
– 11 nights from September Twin share is $433pp includes late checkout fee on last day
Please enquire if you are interested in extra nights’ accommodation pre- or post-Retreat.If you do not wish a late checkout please let us know prior to payment. Prices quoted above are based on last year’s prices. There may be an increased cost. If this is the case, we will let you know. Please understand accommodation is 3 Star. If you wish to upgrade, the extra cost is at your own expense.REMEMBER TO ADD ART WORKSHOP COSTS WITH ACCOMMODATION COSTS to get a total price for your retreat.
If you are not sure please call during business hours Monday to Friday or email me.
OUR TOUR DRIVERS
Ketut on the right and Edy with his daughter Bintang on the left are our drivers for the retreat. They will be on hand to help us nearly everyday! Edy has a family to care for and so he won’t be as available. Edy was instrumental in ensuring we get the royal treatment when we visit Jimbaran bay. Ketut is a local Sanur guy and along with Gede and Edy’s Dad and cousin we had some great drivers. If you need to be somewhere in your free time, just let Ketut, or Gede know before hand and they will be ready for you. Ketut , Gede and the other hotel drivers will be there to collect you from the airport and bring you to the hotel, and take you back to the airport when you depart back home.
What’s not INCLUDED in the RETREAT
- Airfares: I recommend you purchase your ticket well in advance to get a good deal. Fly Air Garuda as they have a morning flight from Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.Alternatively, Virgin Airways are also reliable. Check out Webjet or www. Skyscanner.com website to get a good deal if flying to Bali from another location other than Australia. Try to arrive the day before the retreat starts so you have acclimatised to the weather and had a good sleep in.
- Travel insurance: This is most important that you ensure you are covered. Try Flight Centre comprehensive insurance or 1 cover on line. Your Room or Villa upgrades are to your charge.
- Personal expenses and gifts- such as mini bar usage, laundry, postage, spa purchases at the hotel, extra meals, room service, personal transport and so on are at YOUR expense.
- Additional meals: On nights where we are not booked in to a restaurant or venue as outlined on your itineraries. For example we may stop along the way on our walk along the 5 kilmetre Sanur Beach walkway for a yummy cocktail or iced Kopi. This will be at your expense.
- Optional tours and activities are at your expense.
Bali Art Media Store is located 10 minutes’ walk from our hotel. Come with an almost empty suitcase, as art materials are not so expensive in Bali. Let me know what you wish to purchase and I can let Ari know to ensure these items are in stock for you. You may wish to purchase all eleven coloured tinctures used in Bruce’s workshop which are available at Bali Art Media.
Check out: www.baliartmedia.com website to see what they have available and let me know what you want to purchase.
What you will need to bring
You will need to bring the following art materials with you in your luggage. All other materials and extras are available at the retreat and artist venues. You can purchase these items as a package from Art Studio@ Kiama for total cost of $90 or buy it yourself to perhaps supplement what you already have.
FRIENDS and FAMILY wishing to come along
Here’s some additional good news regarding a friend of yours, spouse or partner who may wish to come along with you to Bali but only wish to participate in some of the cultural/social activities we have organised for the retreat. If your spouse or partner wish to come along, and will only participate in some of the cultural activities of the program, and not attending the Art workshop activities. These costs can be individually calculated upon the non- participants’ involvement with the cultural activities and attendance on day trips to UBUD. Please contact me or upon registration in the program let me know and I will calculate an individual cost for this situation.
MOST IMPORTANT- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All prices are quoted in Australian dollars. REMEMBER you will need to organise your own flights to and from Bali. Due to the varying exchange rates, fuel costs, government taxes and so forth, prices quoted are subject to change without notice. All care will be taken to take in any minor changes in currency fluctuations.
About the Payment Schedule: A $600 deposit is required to secure your booking. Full payment of the balance is due by 6th July 2014 or 60days prior to art retreat commencement date. If booking less that 60 days prior, then the full retreat cost must be paid immediately.
Cancellation charges: The retreat costs will be fully refundable minus an administration cost of $100AU if cancellation is received more than 90 days before commencement date. If cancellation occurs 90-60 days before start of retreat there is a $300 fee cancellation administration cost: at 60 to 30 days before start of retreat a 50% of total cost is refunded. If cancellation occurs less than 30 days before the start of the retreat date there will be unfortunately no refund. All cancellations must be made in writing via letter or email.
In addition, the organisers are under no obligation or liability to any person as a result from inaccuracy, misdescription or changes to any of the tour or itinerary or for the losses or additional expenses due to delays, strikes, war, quarantine, acts of God, improper documents or any other cause.
Retreat Cancellation: If a retreat does not have the number of participants, or if the organisers need to cancel the retreat, in this case a full refund will be issued, including the deposit is made to the participant. Each retreat needs a minimum number of participants to proceed, in this case we need 10 participants. You should obtain confirmation that the retreat will go ahead as scheduled before booking your international flight. Each retreat is catered for 20 people maximum.
The Tutors: Should any of the tutors need to cancel their workshop due to unforeseen, unavoidable circumstances another tutor/ or art activity of similar stature will be organised to take its place. All art tutoring will be provided to the best of the ability of the Tutor. No refunds will made for any misconception in the quality of the teaching or delivery of the workshop.
Flights, Passports and Visas: It is your responsibility to ensure your PASSPORT is up to date prior to booking the retreat, and that your passport has 8-10 months (to be on the safe side) validity of the expiry date. Please check that with Australian passport office, or your own passport office for international travellers attending the retreat. Upon arrival in Bali you need a VISA for 30 days. These visas need to be filled out on the aircraft and are issued/ stamped on arrival for Australian, UK and US, New Zealand passport holders at a cost of US$25. Ensure that you arrive a day before the retreat begins so you are settled and organised. It is your responsibility to ensure you are ready for the retreat. For Australian participants, try Webjet for FLIGHTS price comparisons. We recommend you fly with Garuda Airlines or Virgin. Check out the Skyscanner website for International visitors. Air Asia is another frequent flyer to Bali.
Travel Insurance and your HEALTH: Again it is your responsibility to ensure you have travel insurance as it is one of the conditions of this retreat that you are insured. Once your flight is booked, you will need to confirm your flight details, as well as your insurance details with us. 1Covercom.au, flight Centre travel insurance are available. Please ensure that should you have a health condition that you have your medication with you in Bali. A doctor will gladly write you a cover note itemising your medications. There are no mandatory inoculations for Bali, though an updated tetanus needle would be beneficial. Consult with your doctor in preparation for your Bali retreat.
Baggage, Safes and Water: Your baggage and personal items are your responsibility at all times. There is personal safes in each room, and it is your responsibility to ensure that your belongings are safe, and not the retreat personnel. Bali drinking water is only for SHOWERING and bathing. Use bottled water at all times for drinking and brushing teeth.
The Fine Print
While all care and consideration will be taken into account for mishaps that may occur along the way, for any unused services during and after the retreat cannot be exchanged or refunded. You will be aware that the organisers of Bali Sunrise Art Retreat accept no responsibility or liability for death, injury, sickness or accident to any person, or loss of or damage to any property, or cancellation, or delay, substitution, or deviation arising out of, or in connection with accommodation, transportation, conveyance, or any other service provided by hotels, resorts, restaurants or any services as per the itinerary and timetable before, during and after the Art Retreat.
So on behalf of the organising Team, if you would like to join us please let us know we look forward to hearing from you!